Beginning February 2018, Tenon began performing long-term research into patterns of accessibility on the web. Researching 28170 unique domains (so far), we've gathered information on 9336 technologies. We have categorized each technology into 193 distinct categories and 25 distinct vertical markets. The goal of this research is to determine what, if any, patterns exist in the data that can be used to predict the level of accessibility when those technologies are in use. We hope to answer questions like:
- What technologies are correlated with the most/ least accessibility issues?
- What type(s) of accessibility issues are correlated with specific technologies?
- How does each technology perform against others in the same category?
- Which vertical markets have the highest rates of error?
One of the more significant challenges in this type of research - beyond What can be tested and how - is that correlation does not imply causation. The existence of patterns that are correlated to specific error rates for a technology is not necessarily an indictment of that technology. Issues correlated to a specific technology may reside in its version, implementation, or configuration. We hope that ongoing data collection will allow us to gather enough data that the influences of such variations can be reduced.
This data gathering is a permanent ongoing process happening 24-7-365 using our own data sources as well as the logs from users who have consented to allowing us to gather anonymous stats. To date, we have analyzed 31726 logs for this data.
This data is not yet ready to be used to draw any inferences.At the time of this writing there are approximately 1.3 billion websites on the Web. With that sample size, we would need to analyze 16,641 unique domains to have a 99% confidence level and confidence interval of 1. Given the extreme amount of variability in the data, we will not consider this data to be useful until we have analyzed at least 50,000 domains. Until then, regard this information as unreliable.
|Total Logs Analyzed||31726|
|Total Distinct Domains||28170|
|Total Distinct Technologies||9336|
|Total Distinct Categories||193|
|Total Distinct Verticals||25|
|Average Alexa Rank||52057|
|Average Quantcast Rank||59227|
|Average errors per page||46|
|Average warnings per page||46|
|Average density per page||110|
|Average tests failing per page||6|
|Average level A errors per page||48|
|Average level AA errors per page||2|
|Average level AAA errors per page||16|
|Percent of pages error-free||5|
The overall goal of this ongoing research is to determine the role that certain technologies play in accessibility. Right now we are gathering data on 9336 technologies. That number isn't expected to increase too significantly, however we also track their popularity. Each time we see the technology we are also increasing the sample size.
Many of the technologies we track are unlikely to have a direct accessibility impact. We find the following technologies particularly interesting, from an accessibility perspective.
- Adobe Experience Manager (Seen 818 times)
- Angular JS (Seen 7368 times)
- ASP.NET (Seen 25238 times)
- CKEditor (Seen 5391 times)
- Classic ASP (Seen 2238 times)
- Demandware (Seen 250 times)
- Dojo Toolkit (Seen 2709 times)
- Drupal (Seen 6254 times)
- Drupal Commerce (Seen 137 times)
- Ektron (Seen 283 times)
- Ektron Ecommerce (Seen 197 times)
- Ember (Seen 308 times)
- Endeca (Seen 244 times)
- Genesis Framework (Seen 557 times)
- Handlebars (Seen 3767 times)
- JetPack (Seen 3823 times)
- jQuery (Seen 48444 times)
- Kendo UI (Seen 187 times)
- Kentico (Seen 282 times)
- KineticJS (Seen 145 times)
- KnockoutJS (Seen 5264 times)
- Magento (Seen 862 times)
- Microsoft Frontpage (Seen 475 times)
- Moodle (Seen 423 times)
- Perl (Seen 2219 times)
- PHP (Seen 43455 times)
- Python (Seen 923 times)
- React (Seen 1920 times)
- Ruby on Rails (Seen 6427 times)
- Shopify (Seen 645 times)
- Sitecore CMS (Seen 500 times)
- Telerik Sitefinity (Seen 248 times)
- Tiny MCE (Seen 728 times)
- Visual Studio (Seen 1153 times)
- Wix (Seen 124 times)
- WooCommerce (Seen 1973 times)
- WordPress (Seen 30261 times)
- Yahoo Small Business (Seen 21379 times)
- Zope (Seen 188 times)